Sejong Korean Language School Review

Why did I signed up for Korean Language Classes?
   
As the whole world comes to a standstill due to COVID-19, I had the time to sit down and think hard about my future.

     I listed down
1. all the things that I want to accomplish by the end of my undergraduate studies (about 1.5 years more as I am going on semester internship next semester), and
2. the career path that I would like to pursue in the future.

     Attaining at least intermediate proficiency in both Korean Language and Japanese Language topped my list and after much research, I settled on Sejong Korean Language School. I also purchased extra materials (Yonsei Korean Textbook and Workbook) from Taobao so that I could learn more grammar and/or vocabulary during my free time.

     Some may ask:"why don't you just self study?". My answer to this is simple. Though it is possible to attain proficiency through self study, I strongly believe that I will be able to learn more efficiently with guidance. Furthermore, at the end of the day, I wish to be able to converse in Korean with ease and this is much more attainable if I have a teacher around to correct my pronunciation.

    Sejong offers courses of 3 different pace - regular, express and intensive.
Regular - Once a week, 1.5 hours each for a total of 12 lessons.
Express - Thrice a week, 1.5 hours each for a total of 12 lessons.
Intensive - Once a week, 3 hours each for a total of 6 lessons.
It is entirely up to you discern which one fits you the best. If you are on holiday, taking the Express class (like what I did for two terms) could be the best option. If you are studying, taking the Regular or Intensive course could be more desirable.

Express
   
     During the Circuit Breaker period, Sejong hosted numerous online express classes @ $240 for 18 hours of lessons. This breaks down to just $13.33/hour and I must say, it is worth it. 

     Sejong's curriculum is very well-organised and the teacher that took my class is extremely well-versed and clear in her explanation. There is homework nearly after every class as well as spelling tests to get us to memorise important words which will allow us to better comprehend daily speeches. The curriculum is also planned in such a manner that by the end of Beginner 1 Term 1, you will be able to go to Korea, order food and even ask for discount in Korean. However, having someone around to guide you does not necessarily translate to proficiency if you do not put in the necessary effort.

Regular

    On the other hand, regular lessons are priced at $360 for 12 lessons of 1.5 hours each.

   However, one thing to note is that NUS is a part of SKLS affiliate organisation programme. This means that NUS students, staff and alumni club members are entitled to 15% discount off regular classes but you have to inform them about it and submit the relevant documents before you make any form of payment.

     Regular lessons are more expensive with the hourly rate being $20/hr (without discount) or $17/hr (with discount). Nevertheless, I still feel that it is worth it as this is inclusive of course materials.

Overall

     I am glad that I actually chose Sejong Korean Language School. Many of my classmates praised Sejong and commented on how good the school is. Some of them took Korean classes before at other schools but decided to switch over to Sejong as the schools they originally attended were bad. Real reviews speak more than what the school tells you or portrays, and your decision on which language school to attend should be entirely based on real reviews.

     As mentioned above, my aim is to attain intermediate proficiency in both Korean and Japanese within two years. During the start of the Circuit Breaker, I also attended a Japanese Language School and my experience was horrible. Though they teach completely two different languages, it is obvious that Sejong has a great curriculum while the Japanese Language School that I attended (not going to name it) has an extremely bad curriculum. Anyways, I dropped out halfway and requested for a refund. They permitted my request as my dissatisfaction was not unfounded. I mean, they used a textbook that is 90-95% romaji while insisting that they focus on writing Japanese. Furthermore, out of the 5 hours of class that I attended, the teacher showed us YouTube video for more than an hour (note: the hourly rate is $22.5/hr). I complained, but what improvement can I expect. I joined them because they had great reviews on their site (I find this questionable now btw). In any case, I am looking to join another Japanese Language School in July so there might be another review coming up.

      Language is extremely important, especially in this increasingly globalised world. Furthermore, your next trip to Korea will be all the more enjoyable as you get to fully immerse in their food and culture with your new-found proficiency in Korean. So what are you waiting for? 

Comments

Popular Posts